Teaching poetry for enjoyment and assessment (Cat 3)
Philpot Education welcomes language teachers to this IBDP Category 3 workshop, officially called Language A: Literature - teaching poetry for enjoyment and assessment, which will be held in Rome, Italy from 1-3 March 2018. This workshop is organized by Philpot Education in cooperation with the IB.
We will start on Thursday 1 March at 8:30 and finish on Saturday 3 March at 12:30.
Elizabeth Stephan will be leading this workshop, drawing on her experience as an IB workshop leader and practitioner. The workshop agenda is designed to meet the following aims:
- To give thought to how poetry matters in the 21st century – glancing at a plethora of recent global research and inspiring teaching initiatives
- To share challenges, successes, ideas and resources based on our experience in teaching poetry
- To consider, try out and evaluate a wide range of active methods of poetry teaching designed to enhance engagement, understanding and performance
- To examine the use of poetry in different parts of the current literature programme , especially Paper One and Part Two, identifying where the challenges lie and how these can be successfully addressed
- To look ahead to the new programme and estimate how poetry and the teaching of it can be successfully incorporated and how it can satisfy the aims and objectives of the revised curriculum
The registration fee is €895 (excluding VAT) and covers 15 hours of tuition, a workbook, two lunches, drinks and snacks. After attending all sessions you will receive your digital IB certificate. Please read our terms & conditions before registering.
Workshop venue & hotel
The workshop takes place at the Kolbe Hotel, located right next to the Forum Romanum in the centre of Rome. Please find hotel booking information here.
Workshop participants are responsible for their own accommodation arrangements and travel to and from the event.
We look forward to seeing you in Rome.