Geography (New guide) (Cat 2)
This workshop is completely full. If you wish to be placed on the waiting list, please send an email to email@example.com.
Or register for our upcoming Geography workshops:
Philpot Education welcomes IBDP teachers of Geography to Amsterdam-Zaandam from 6-8 april 2017 for a Category 2 workshop, with a focus on the new guide. This IB-approved workshop gives you the opportunity to meet teachers from other schools, share best practice and learn more about your subject.
John Cannings will be leading this workshop, drawing on his experience as an IB workshop leader and practitioner. The workshop agenda is designed to meet the following aims:
- Offer teachers a range of teaching strategies
- Give teachers insight into the assessment process
- Showcase several examples of best practice
The workshop will be examining the structure and assessment tools of the new Geography Guide. The syllabus as a whole is driven by four main concepts :places, power processes and possibilities. These concepts help drive the syllabus towards finding solutions so it is both active and dynamic.
The core of the new syllabus deals with global change and specifically, in the areas of population change, climate change and resource consumption. These are three major issues that the world faces.
The options are those which have similar themes to the present ones, but with a change in emphasis to reflect the main concepts.
The Higher Level Extension has also been retained and restructured.
- The workshop will deal with the following issues:
- An overview of the changes to the guide
- Consideration of the four main concepts and their influence on topics
- The structure of exams and the marking rubrics associated with it
- Internal Assessment and the changes to marking criteria
- The Extended Essay in Geography
- Approaches to Teaching and Learning and the use of Unit planners for Geography
The workshop will take place at the Hotel Inntel Amsterdam Zaandam, which is easily accessible from Schiphol airport and right next door to the Zaandam train station. Philpot Education has blocked rooms at this visually stunning 4 star hotel. The hotel is only two train stops from downtown Amsterdam (10 minutes).
The registration fee of €895 covers 15 hours of tuition, a workbook, two lunches, coffee and a walking tour of Amsterdam. Workshop participants are responsible for their own accommodation arrangements and travel to and from the event.
We look forward to seeing you in the Netherlands!