Language A: Literature - teaching poetry for enjoyment and assessment (Cat 3)
Philpot Education welcomes IBDP teachers of Language A: Literature to Amsterdam-Zaandam from 6-8 april 2017 for a Category 3 workshop. This IB-approved workshop focuses on teaching poetry and gives you the opportunity to meet teachers from other schools, share best practice and learn more about your subject.
Elizabeth Stephan will be leading this workshop, drawing on her experience as an IB workshop leader and practitioner. The workshop agenda is designed to meet the following aims:
- To give thought to how poetry matters in the 21st century – glancing at a plethora of recent global research and inspiring teaching initiatives
- To share challenges, successes, ideas and resources based on our experience in teaching poetry
- To consider, try out and evaluate a wide range of active methods of poetry teaching designed to enhance engagement, understanding and performance
- To examine the use of poetry in different parts of the current literature programme , especially Paper One and Part Two, identifying where the challenges lie and how these can be successfully addressed
- To look ahead to the new programme and estimate how poetry and the teaching of it can be successfully incorporated and how it can satisfy the aims and objectives of the revised curriculum
The workshop will take place at the Hotel Inntel Amsterdam Zaandam, which is easily accessible from Schiphol airport and right next door to the Zaandam train station. Philpot Education has blocked rooms at this visually stunning 4 star hotel. The hotel is only two train stops from downtown Amsterdam (10 minutes).
The registration fee of €895 covers 15 hours of tuition, a workbook, two lunches, coffee and a walking tour of Amsterdam. Workshop participants are responsible for their own accommodation arrangements and travel to and from the event.
We look forward to seeing you in the Netherlands!